Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Round 'Em Up

Anybody know where my big sister went?

Today, I took my girl to Kindergarten roundup. Ellie didn't want to go. She kept telling me she would be too sad to go, that she wanted to just stay home with me. Ok fine, we'll just stay home forever. I'll homeschool you and you will never have to go to Kindergarten
Daddy did not agree.
So, off we went to visit our new school. It is only a few years old. The building is still shiny and new. In we walked though the front doors.
I hated it immediately. There are cinderblock walls. Cinderblock! They use that in prisons!! My baby cannot go, she is too little, too small. There was a class full of bigger kids in the hallway. She clung to my hand and I fought the urge to scoop her up and run the other way. A mom from the neighborhood waived at me as we walked down the hallway.
We walked in the room, and I began to fill out forms. One of the teachers gave her a nametag and took her by the hand and said, "Come on Ellie, lets go play!" Ok, now I know I'm overreacting here, but isn't that exactly what I've told her not to do, go off and play with strangers? I mean, I don't know these people. I'm sure they're lovely, but where the h*** are you taking my baby? You can't take her to the Kindergarten classroom. She doesn't like Kindergarten. Ok, mama, just breathe. No child molesters here, just sweet teachers.
The principal came and shook my hand. I couldn't even say anything. I was afraid I'd melt down, and then I'd be remembered as that mom. You know, that crazy lady who broke down filling out the paperwork. The one who can't stand to let her baby be walked 10 feet away from her. And then the teacher from the next room comes to me and the stressed out parents next to me.
"Excuse me, are you Emily and Ellie's parents?" OMG, OMG!! What have you done to my baby! Where is she, what happened! WHY ARE YOU STANDING THERE GRINNING AT ME, YOU SADISTIC LADY?
"Yes, I'm Ellie's mom" (Ok, so at least it didn't come out crazy)
"Well, they are just having the best time, they are playing together and coloring. You are going to have a hard time making them leave!"
And I hear it. She is laughing in the next room. I go over to investigate, and sure enough, there she is, playing with her new friend. They are having a puppet show with the dolls. And neither one wants to leave. She loves Kindergarten. She can't wait to go in the fall. She can't wait to show her school to her daddy. She can't wait to meet new friends, and have art, and P.E. and music. And all of the sudden, she is in love with Kindergarten.
I sucked it up as we walked out. I oohed and aahed over the walls, covered with pictures that I didn't see before. We peeked in the lunchroom, and the gym. We went out to dinner to celebrate, and had ice cream. And she is so very excited.
I hope she'll do OK. Because I'm not going to. Obviously

3 comments:

lh said...

It may take them only a day to adjust, but it takes their momma's an entire year. And that is coming from a momma that was so very excited that her child was going to ALL DAY KINDERGARTEN! But soon she will go on a great big bus to her first field trip without me. Just one more tiny step she is taking away from me! But seriously, get to know her teacher, Allie's will email me anytime, even during the middle of the day and let me know how she is doing. And, yes, I did used to email her if I couldn't see allie get all the way into school from car rider line. I was just making sure my baby was safe. But now I love it, they teach them so much more than I ever could and in fun ways that I never would have thought of! And they get recess, and spanish, and book fairs, and all kinds of fun, new experiences that they love. But just remember this, no matter how much fun she has, or how smart she gets, she will still love her momma first and foremost.

But when they try to start playing the 'curious george' theme song while you are watching a slide show of how much fun your child has without you all day, do feel free to walk over and turn it off. It will make you tear up and embarass yourself!

Anonymous said...

Jill,
on your first day of school i felt the same way. i was worried about you going to school all by yourself, i did't know your teacher or anyone in you class.
When we got there i pulled into the parking space and got out with tears in my eyes but making sure you thought, that i thought, "THIS school stuff", was just the best thing in the world

you got out of the car turned to me and said," you may walk me to the door but you can't come in , and please wave just like this. you showed me to wave once and i was NOT to keep waving (i guess like a crazy mom)

i smiled, waved "correctly" watched you walk happily into the school. I got into the car and cried.. all the way home, all morning, all afternoon, and the sucked it up again.
Got into that car..30min early to pick you up. Listened to your brothers cry (thats along time in a car with an emotional mom) and then smiled...ask with a big smile how your day was.
you told me everything.

next...yep...i cried some. more

ps that happens alot with moms, daycare, preschool, kindergarten, jr high, high school, college(the worst) and yes sometimes even now.
like right this minute.

love you jill, mom

Anonymous said...

ps
your dad said to tell you he always builds scools with cinderblock!!